June 21, 2009

Father's Day

How lucky am I? I have a wonderful father who has always loved me? What more could a girl want?!?

My Dad and I have shared a special bond. I am the one who understands most of his jokes and translate them for my Mom and my sister. Daddy loves the corny jokes!

When I was a senior in high school (MANY years ago), my Dad was my best friend. That may sound strange to you, but we had moved across the state the summer right before I started my senior year and I didn't know anyone at school. I was really bummed because I had left a boyfriend behind and that relationship soon went sour. But my Dad was there for me.

While my sister was always learning how to cook and clean from my Mom (yes, I probably should have paid more attention there) I was learning how to assemble things from my Dad.

If you ever meet my Dad, never say anything negative about my Mom, my sister, me, or our kids unless you want him to unleash on you. Normally my Dad is a gentle man, but let someone say anything bad about one of his and he will let you know that kind of talk will not be tolerated in his presence. You won't hear him use swear words or foul language, but you will definitely know never to say anything bad about any of us.

One of the best things about my Dad is how much he loves my Mom. Sure, he makes her crazy sometimes, but he still thinks he married the prettiest girl in the world. And I guess after more than 50 years together, that is one of the things that makes their marriage work!!!

Happy Father's Day Dad! I hope we can celebrate many more! I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment